In any kind of business or industry, health and safety in the workplace are very important. But many people think that it is the responsibility of the employer alone. You need to understand here that it is the duty of both employer and employee to take care of the health and safety at the workplace. The employer has to make sure that the employees are given the right infrastructure and safe workplace to work in, while the employees should make sure that they are adhering to all the principles and rules set by the employer. Most of the time, people think that the employer has all the rights and hence all the powers vest in the hands of the employer. But the employer has more responsibility towards the employee than his own business.
Here is a small guide to health and safety at work:
- It is very important for employers to make sure that they design and maintain workplace premises that is safe for everyone who works there.
- As an employer, you should be able to identify the hazards in the workplace and try to eliminate them completely. If that is not possible, then you should at least try to reduce their use as much as possible.
- You should always make sure that you are taking precautions and implementing workplace safety measures. You should also try to help the employees understand why is safety important. That will help them better to understand what has to be done during any emergency.
- As an employer, you will have to make sure that you have the best first aid kit available for your employees. First aid will make sure that the person is safe and will be able to get some medical help before they reach the hospital.
- You will have to make sure the workplace has enough lighting, ventilation, proper flooring, proper toilets, and a washing area so that they will not fall sick. Avoiding these factors may not cause any immediate health issues, but in the long run, that can be a problem for sure.
- You should be provided with training about rescuing yourself during any kind of emergency and also about why is health important. You should be provided with health safety and fire safety equipment in your workplace, which can help in keeping yourself safe.
- You have the right to express your concerns related to your health and safety to the employer.
- If your employer does not address your concerns, you will have the complete right to contact any appropriate authority for getting a solution for your concerns.
- You can also appoint a safety representative at the workplace who will be discussing these issues with the employer whenever required.
Responsibilities of Employees:
Along with the rights, the employees have certain responsibilities as well. You just need to make sure that you are following your responsibilities, just like you fight for your rights.
- As an employee, you will have to participate in the training programs that are offered by employers for safety at workplace. This training will be very useful for the employees only during any kind of emergency at the workplace.
- You will have to ensure that you are following all the rules or policies that are set up by the employer towards health and safety.
- If required, you will have to make sure that you are wearing personal protective equipment, which can be useful to save you during emergencies.
- If you have suffered any kind of illness or injuries as part of the work at the industry or workplace, you will have to report it to the employer without any long delay.
- If you have any health issues that can affect your work in the industry should be informed to the employers, like any injuries, pregnancy, or any kind of other health issues.
The common problems that an employer should always keep in mind regarding employee health safety are workspace or area, right temperature, proper ventilation, good natural light and air, timely breaks for the work stations for employees, fire accidents, trips, and falls due to bad flooring and a few others.